Monday 27 August 2012

This Too Shall Pass...

This is a phrase we hear all the time, especially as new, young moms with small kids. Usually in reference to some of the more challenging aspects of raising our babies; sleepless nights, nursing/feeding issues, teething, tantrums, potty training progress (or lack thereof); you can see the list goes on and on....

Thankfully, these things do pass, and often once they do, fade from memory as well. The difficult nights of the first week become such a blur (because they really were), the demanding feeding schedule makes way for three meals a day, the budding teeth create the beautiful smile that melts your heart. And we forget the pain and the hardship and the struggle that it sometimes is to just. get. to. naptime.

But there are other things that pass too, things that we may take for granted, things we are going to miss and memories we want to keep.

This too shall pass...
      the small fist grasping your finger,
               the little arm of your nursing baby wrapped around your side on a chilly night,
                        the way you can envelope your entire baby on your chest,
                                the hands stretched up for you to grab,
                                         the way you can carry your baby on your hip,
                                the contented breathing of a sick child sleeping finally in your arms,
                        the joyful excitement of discovering something new,
                the way your world looks fresh to new eyes.

Some days I just look at my daughter and am struck again by the wonder of life, the miracle of birth, and the immense privilege of having a child of my own. Some days I forget about all the small details of this baby stage that I am going to miss and get too caught up in the difficulties, and then my little sunshine asks to be carried, and she lays her head down on my shoulder, squeezes me tight with arms that just reach around to my back and I want to remain in that moment forever. Of course, if it were all smiles and snuggles we would never want our babies to grow up, and if it were all trials and tribulations we would never cherish the moments of joy or appreciate the journey of growing.


So when the days are tough, and the trials seem to be overwhelming, find a moment of joy, love and tenderness that can shine a little light and warmth into your heart and you will discover strength and purpose for all those hard moments. (Looking at pictures of your little one also helps remind you of how far you've already come!)
                               

Jellibean Journals


Linking up with {Monday Mom Musings} from Jellibean Journals

7 comments:

  1. wonderful post! Thanks for linking up to Jelli's party so that I could find this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is amazing!! I am a new mama (our little man will be 4 months in a couple weeks) and this was really wonderful to read after a hard, fussy last few days. New follower from Monday Mom Musings! Have a great week!

    -Stephanie
    stephanie-shear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I needed to be told that today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post and beautiful reminder to soak it all up now while we can...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're ready for another! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet! I catch myself trying to hold on to these still sweet moments that you mention every single day. I know you're right, they will be gone before I know it, and definitely before I'm ready, so I'm doing my best to relish the special blessing it is to stay at home and love on my little girl. Thanks so very much for linking up with Monday Mom Musings this week, Taara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! As I'm in the final weeks of my sweet girl's first year, I'm crying over everything and wondering if I've spent enough time cherishing the precious little things that I know won't last forever. The way you phrased this is so beautiful.

    Now I have to go find some tissues...

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments make me smile!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...